**Update on Swim Programs **

April 23, 2020

Hello swim families,

As many of you have heard, the Nanaimo Aquatic Centre has been temporarily closed due to the COVID-19 with directives set out by the provincial health officer. In conjunction with this decision, the Nanaimo Riptides Swim Team will be closing all new membership applications and current swim programs effective immediately. All current membership's monthly swim group fees will be suspended from April 2020 on until we are able to reconvene our swim program.This also means that our popular Olympic Way Spring Session has been canceled.

We wish our swimmers and families all the best during this difficult time. We will continue to update you as the situation changes.


NRST Staff and BOD


**Note from our NRST Board President**:                                                                                                                                    April 17th,2020

Hello Everyone, 

We hope that our swim families are safe and healthy as the COVID-19 pandemic continues. These are certainly difficult and uncertain times for everyone, including the club. 

The club is committed to the ongoing safety of our membership. The board along with the coaching staff is in contact bi-weekly following updates given by our provincial and federal health authorities. We are also closely monitoring the decisions being discussed and made by Swim Canada and Swim BC. It is with a heavy heart that we announce that the Nanaimo Aquatic Centre, like most other recreational facilities, will not be taking bookings up to and including May 31st. What happens after that remains to be seen and we will comply and continue to follow the guidelines being distributed by our provincial health authority. Therefore the club will not be running any portion of the last session of our Olympic Way program. The hope is that the club will resume regular programming in September 2020 should the situation around COVID-19 improve and allow us to do so. As a club, we are hopeful that perhaps the situation will improve before September and we may offer our Camp S summer program through July and August. We will continue to keep the membership updated. 

The board continues to closely evaluate the financial aid programs being offered by the federal government in order to ensure that we have a club that can operate once things return to normal. We are a non-profit organization and the board is making difficult decisions that will likely impact the club for the long term. We ask for your patience and understanding that we have thoroughly consulted what our best options are. 

As for our competitive swimmers, we feel your frustration with the situation. For many of you the season ended unexpectedly and you were unable to meet the goals you had set out for at the start of the season. Our hope is that your coaches will work with you to adjust and make new goals. We want you to remain positive and know that great things are yet to come. 

I will leave you with the words of Swimming Canada CEO, Ahmed El-Awadi:

“The world needs healing. It takes time. The sun will rise again for the most celebrated Games, and for our Canadian championships. The athletes will awe us with their amazing talents once more. The world just needs some time to heal. Once the storm is over, we will swim again.”

Together, Canada is "flattening the coronavirus curve," which is good news. Stay safe everyone, continue to practice social distancing and get out there and enjoy this beautiful Vancouver Island weather. 

All the best. 


Adriana Prlic

NRST President